Wednesday 3 July 2013

Smashing Pumpkins Glasgow Gig Review



'I remember I wanted to be alternative because I wanted to do whatever the fuck I wanted'

A sentiment put forth by Billy Corgan (from now on referred to Billy as I'm pretty sure we are on first name terms after his band touched my soul last night), lead singer of 'The Smashing Pumpkins'. This statement was met, on my part, by whopping and hollerin'. Further reflected by the older members around me, who again emanated that classic Rock n Roll sentiment, just wanting to do and like whatever the fuck we wanted.

The gig was very much in that mindset, a mismatched group of ages, shapes and sizes filled the O2 Academy free from judgement of each other and just there to hear the music. I find with bands of the more indie style their gigs, though of fantastic musical ability, drum up a certain indie, judgemental group and you leave the gig feeling both elated but somewhat stripped of your self confidence. Not the Pumpkins though, a great, completely random group who you felt at ease with. Felt you could headbang to your hearts content, which I may or may not have done (see picture below) 



Though I doubt I looked as sexy as that young lady while doing it... In addition to the headbanging, there was foot tapping, hand clapping, jumping, fist pumping and general bad assery. So, moving anyway from the atmosphere, the venue itself is one of my favourites. The acoustics in the O2 academy are incredible, the sound system could blow your fucking brains out (perfect for The Pumpkins) and the space is well organised. Apart from extortionate drinks, which let's face it most venues have, it's a good venue.

Now, to the meat. The Pumpkins were incredible. Moving seamlessly from song to song, with room for banter in the middle. Every member is flawless live whether it's Billy and his raw passion, or Jeff Schroeder (guitarist) hitting out a heart attack inducing solo, or Mike Bryne who knows how to do a drum solo that will quite literally make your bones quake, or Nicole Fiorentino the stunning and incredibly talented bassist, not only rocking girl power but some damn fine bass playing.


Look how gorgeous! Sorry, I'll get back to the review but I just have a bit of a major girl crush. Anyway, it's hard for me to explain how just completely amazing and freeing the gig was. Never has the phrase 'You had to be there', been more appropriate. But, if you had the incredible chance too be there and like me was hoping the £37 was worth it, you'll know it was and if you don't, you must be fucking mental. I love the whole idea behind the pumpkins, I hope they keep on doing whatever the fuck they want, because they do it so well.

Gig rating: 10/10, no questions


Attempts to blog weekly from now on, review suggestions below, keep rocking 
Rose x

Glasgow O2 Academy 02/07/13

No comments:

Post a Comment